The beauty of these build-your-own bowls is that anything goes. To hell with the rulebook! Start with a base of rice, fluffy quinoa or buckwheat, then simply layer with all your favourite veggies, beans, seeds, chopped salad, falafel, tofu and whatever else takes your fancy.
Whether you prefer them hot or cold, these one-dish wonders are the perfect fuss-free option for veggies and vegans alike. Brimming with goodness and packed with glorious greens, it’s a colourful number to have in your meal-prep repertoire this January. I
It’s also a great way to use up any leftovers from sauces and condiments to that one lonely pepper sat getting crinkly in the back of the fridge. They’ve all got a home here.
Go Mexican-inspired with a naked burrito bowl (sans the tortilla) and load up your stir-fried vegetables with vegan sour cream, salsa and guacamole.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C
- Cut the sweet potato in two strips or cubes, drizzles with oil and paprika
- Cut the peppers in to 1inch squares or strips and place on a baking tray with the sweet potato for 15-20 minutes
- Pop the black beans in a saucepan and cook on the hob for 5-10 minutes
- When all the ingredients are cooked, start building your bowl adding salt, pepper, chilli flakes, and like juice to taste. We also added some vegan sour cream!
Alternatively, if you’re craving a heartier meal, simply swap out the cold salad ingredients for steamed broccoli florets, lentils and baked sweet potato or butternut squash instead. Garnish with coriander and enjoy!